The Planning Department is responsible for two primary functions:
- Assisting the City Council to plan for the City's future development ("Long Range Planning").
- Reviewing proposed development projects for conformance with the City's adopted policies and ordinances ("Current Planning").
Among its activities, the Planning Division:
- Maintains and implements the City's Comprehensive Plan which guides City development decisions.
- Reviews individual development proposals for compliance with the City's Zoning Ordinance.
- Provides information about planning, zoning and planning permit requirements to the public.
- Provides staff to the Planning Commission.
- Coordinates the City's review of construction plans prior to a development project receiving a building permit.